FFf Eclectic Red Barn: BBQ Pork Sandwiches

Thursday, September 26, 2013

BBQ Pork Sandwiches

Fall reminds me of comfort food. One of my husbands favorite comfort sandwiches is a BBQ pork sandwich.  Sometimes I think he grew up in the south the way he likes southern food even though he grew up in Wheeling, WV. Maybe it is just something about southern cooking! 

A few years ago I was watching the Food network and Paula Deen was making these BBQ pork sandwiches. I made them for my husband - and the rest is history!
Eclectic Red Barn: BBQ Pork Sandwiches

I have tried others, but this is my favorite BBQ pork recipe. When you have a winner, why not stick with it. I made a few changes. Paula marinated her pork roast for a couple of hours, but I like to marinate mine over night. That way it is ready to go in the morning. She also roasted hers in the oven, I like to put mine in the crock pot. Dinner when you get home!

This recipe uses a dry rub. For this roast I made half of the dry rub recipe. Sometimes I make the exact recipe and use half and save the rest for another roast.  Just pat it all over the roast. Cover with foil and refrigerate.
Eclectic Red Barn: Pork Butt marinated with dry rub
This is my roast after it has marinated overnight. Place it in your crock pot and cook for 6-8 hours depending on size of roast and when you want to eat. The smell of this cooking is awesome. The dogs were going crazy.

Take the roast out of the crock pot and place on a large cutting board. Now it is time to "pull" the pork. Use two forks, pull the pork a little at a time. One note - pull all the pork while it is hot, you can't pull it when it is cold. You have to cut it - learned this the hard way! lol.
Eclectic Red Barn: Pulling Pork Butt
Once it is all pulled, you can add sauce to it, but I prefer to let everyone add their own sauce. I use Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sauce. I heat it so it doesn't cool the sandwich down. My husband likes coleslaw on his - I think this might also be a southern thing. That is also how Paula served it. I am just a sauce person. Maybe too much sauce?
Eclectic Red Barn: BBQ Pork Sandwich with sauce

BBQ Pork Sandwich                   Print Recipe


Recipe courtesy Paula Deen


Eclectic Red Barn: BBQ Pork Sandwich

Ingredients
Dry rub:

2 tablespoons salt
2 tablespoons black pepper
2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
2 tablespoons paprika
1/2 tablespoon cayenne
4 pound shoulder pork roast
2 cup apple juice
1 cup apple cider vinegar
2 tablespoons Worcestershire
1/2 tablespoon liquid smoke( I use 1 tablespoon)
1/2 tablespoon garlic powder
6 soft hamburger buns with seeds
BBQ sauce
Cole slaw

Directions

Mix the dry rub ingredients in small bowl. Sprinkle dry rub all over the pork roast, pressing into the pork. Cover with plastic and refrigerate for at least 2 hours. ( I add half the rub and let it sit overnight)


Combine liquid ingredients and the garlic powder in a medium bowl and pour into a large Dutch oven. Place pork in the oven and tightly cover with aluminum foil then lid. Roast for 4 hours or until fork tender and shreds easily. Brush the roast with cooking liquid every hour.
Remove from oven and let stand until cool enough to handle. Shred the pork with a fork or tongs into bite size pieces.


I put it in a slow cooker for 6 hours depending on the size of the roast.


Serve on hamburger buns topped with BBQ sauce and coleslaw.

Linking to these parties:

thursday blog hopCatch a Glimpse ButtonAll Things Thursday Blog HopPractically Functional Link PartyThePinJunkieMarvelous Mondays Link Party #66 is now live! Link up until Wednesday, October 2nd!Monday Funday at TWCS

2 comments :

  1. oh boy does that look good. Another thing I love and my husband won't eat. He's such a fussy eater

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Bev,
    I just wanted to let you know that the Knick of Time Tuesday party has a vintage style theme. Your 2 recipes look delicious, but no food links are allowed, so I needed to delete your 2 recipe links, but I'd love it if you shared something with vintage style!!

    Blessings,
    ~Angie

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you. Your comments are special to me.



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...