FFf Eclectic Red Barn: Lovely Magnolias

Sunday, May 19, 2013

Lovely Magnolias

Spring rain not only brings beautiful flowers, but livens up the trees here in southern Florida. The fruit trees have blooms and baby fruits while the flowering trees are budding profusely. One of my favorite trees right now is the magnolias. The white blooms against the dark waxy green leaves is so beautiful.  I was sitting out on the deck and could smell the flowers.  I had to pick some. 

Eclectic Red Barn: Magnolia Blooms in Green Vase with Antique Iron


Their smell is the strongest when it is still budding like the one below. Just lovely! As they open up, the scent is not as strong. 

Eclectic Red Barn: Magnolia Blooming Bud

However, it is when you see the opened blooms on the tree that draw your attention. The centers of the magnolia have a yellow flower with a red base. 

Eclectic Red Barn: Magnolia Full Blooming Flower

These centers continue to grow and as the petals fall, the yellow stems fall off and the center turns into a hard dark center that is great for arrangements. I don't have one to show at this time. Here you can see that the leaves are turning a dark beige and some of the yellow stems have dropped onto the leaf at the bottom.


Eclectic Red Barn: Magnolia Flower  is Beginning to Fade

The magnolia blooming process begins with a bud like the one below that is pale green.

Eclectic Red Barn: Magnolia Flower Just Beginning

When I picked the magnolias, I picked some bleeding heart. The red tips of the bleeding heart are so dramatic against the white magnolias.

Eclectic Red Barn: Magnolia Flower with Bleeding heart


Here is another shot of the magnolia with the bleeding heart surrounding the base.

Eclectic Red Barn: Magnolia Flower with Bleeding Heart Vignette

Magnolia trees are so lovely with their dark green waxy leaves and their beautiful white aromatic flowers.

Eclectic Red Barn: Magnolia Flower/Bleeding Heart with old iron Vignette
Hope you enjoyed visiting with me and my magnolias!


Linking up to these parties:
 Life on Lakeshore DriveIt's OverflowingI Heart Nap Time Say G'day Linky Partymop it up mondays featureSuper Sunday SyncMonday2 Make the Scene Monday #75The Chicken ChickSkip To My LouBoogieboard CottageMod Vintage LifeMore the Merrier MondayOur DelightfulHomePJH DesignsMy Uncommon Slice of SuburbiaFluster BusterYour Whims WednesdayAdorned From Above Blog Hop2013 Shab Friday logo

12 comments :

  1. Beautiful magnolias.

    Thank you for linking to #SocialPix

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a gorgeous arrangement! I can never grow those bleeding hearts. I think it's too dry here in s. Cal. Joining your site! Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely photos - the bleeding hearts you have are so different than what we grow. I love seeing the different flowers from around the country.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Magnolias! Mine has just started blooming! Thanks for linking up with us this weekend! Sue

    ReplyDelete
  5. They are beautiful. I keep trying to capture some here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love Magnolias!! We have many here in Louisiana, too. I always make construction paper ones in my classroom. Your arrangement is gorgeous. Thanks so much for sharing at A Bouquet of Talent. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just beautiful magnolias........Thank you for sharing with the Clever Chicks Blog Hop this week; I hope you’ll join us again!


    Cheers,
    Kathy Shea Mormino

    The Chicken Chick

    http://www.The-Chicken-Chick.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful!
    I like it! ♥
    have a nice weekend!
    Greetings, Luiserl ♥

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful - Magnolias are one of my favorites. Thank you for sharing at Fluster's Creative Muster.

    Robin
    Fluster Buster

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Beverly, those are beautiful magnolias. I can almost smell them. I'm so glad you joined us this week at Transformed Tuesday.

    Hugs,
    Peggy~PJH Designs

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you. Your comments are special to me.



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...