FFf Eclectic Red Barn: House Plants turned Garden Plants

Monday, May 6, 2013

House Plants turned Garden Plants

When I lived up north, I loved to have house plants. One of the plants that I had was the peace lily. When I moved to Florida, I brought a few of my plants with me and the peace lily was one of them. I realized that instead of having this plant in the house, people here planted them in their gardens.

Eclectic Red Barn: Peace Lily Flower

With the recent rains, they are blooming like crazy.  This is their spring. When I was up north, trying to get them to bloom, was not always easy, but here they seem to love it. They don't like the sun, but do well in the shade. This plant is doing so well here that my one plant is now six large plants along the side of my deck.

The leaves seem to hide within the green foliage and them emerge - as this one is doing.

Eclectic Red Barn: Peace Lily Flower Bud


                         I love their beautiful white flowers against the dark green foliage.

Eclectic Red Barn: Peace Lily Flower

Their centers have hundreds of intricate little "knobbies" up and down the stem.



I think we tend to look at the leaves of this plant, but it is the centers of the leaf that fascinate me.  

Eclectic Red Barn: Peace Lily Flower Center Stem

Looks like it might be some underwater creature!

Linking to these parties:


Rurality Blog Hop #13ffWeekly Top Shot #82

11 comments :

  1. I have a couple of these--but as house plants. I think they love humidity too much to flourish outside in the desert. One of mine is blooming now. I'll have to look carefully at the center.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful flower and love the name ~ Wonderful photography work ~ ^_^ for Rurality

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't have a Peace Lily but it sure is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Here in MO they are more of a house plant, but I would love to grow some in the garden! Such a neat plant.

    Visiting from Rurality Blog Hop :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous! How neat for them to grow outside-for me they are only a houseplant! I wonder if anthuriums would grow outside for you too?!
    jema

    ReplyDelete
  6. The peace lily is the first house plant that I ever had. I have murdered many a plant, but that peace lily is still going strong! Hopped over from Tootsies :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful! This is one of my favorite flowers and I have several pots of them, but my stay indoors.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have several of these beautiful plants in pots. They sit on the porch in Summer and come into the house in Winter.
    Your photos are beautiful!
    Lea
    Lea's Menagerie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful! Thank you for joining us at last week's Let's Get Social Sunday :) I hope you'll join us again this week! Jamie @ Love Bakes Good Cakes

    ReplyDelete
  10. Things seem so different when you look at them up close. Thank you for this new perspective on a plant I see all the time.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you. Your comments are special to me.



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...