FFf Eclectic Red Barn: Baskets from the Junk Pile

Monday, January 28, 2013

Baskets from the Junk Pile

We have bulk pickup here once a month, where you can put out almost anything. Sometimes you can find some good things. Our neighbor is moving and after having a garage sale, put many items out for bulk pickup. I hate to have items going to landfills when they could be re-purposed.  I find it difficult to pass up good items. I found three planters, a picture frame, she gave me a hutch (needs a lot of work - will see it later), a bed frame(at another house), and a hugh clock face at another house. Great finds - what a week!

First to be finished were the three planters. I have pictures of the two wicker types, but I don't know what happened to the third original picture. 

Blue Wicker Basket with Decoupage prints


This was one of two wicker baskets that I salvaged from the "dump" so to speak. There were two of them - the smaller one fit inside of the larger one. This is what they looked like.

Wicker basket before being painted
Wicker basket before being painted

They were not something that I really liked, so I thought I would paint them. I decided to dry brush the baskets with some blue paint I had on hand. 

Wicker basket after being dry brush painted

Wicker basket after being dry brush painted
I liked the look of the baskets once I had dry brushed them. I let some of the golden color shine through. What else could I do to the baskets? I had these Decoupage prints that I purchased about 15 years ago at some place in Ohio. They would work. I cut them out and then used Mod Podge (matte finish) to attach them to the baskets. I covered the images in Mod Podge. I may add a varnish over the baskets, but not sure yet.

Decoupage prints - Magnolia

Once completed, I added flowers and placed the small one on the deck in front of my small yellow table. I am not sure what I am doing with the large basket yet.

Wicker Basket in front of Yellow Table
Here is the small and large one after they were completed. 

Two Wicker Baskets after being painted and Decoupaged

For the third basket, it was metal and had gold palm trees on it. They had to go! I spray painted it black. 

Metal basket after spray painted black

I wish I had an original picture, because this was the best makeover. I added some
Decoupage prints to this one as well. Then I decided to add some color to the legs and the handles. I painted them gold. This was really a trash to treasure project.


Black Metal Basket Decoupaged with Magnolias
I have not decided what to do or where to place it yet. If you have any ideas, let me know.
You never know what you are going to find on "junk" day !
Even items that you may not like, become treasures, once they are re-purposed.


Linking up to these parties:



My Blog Skip To My LouPJH DesignsPhotobucket/Mod Vintage LifeMy Uncommon Slice of SuburbiaOur Delightful Homekatherines corner

20 comments :

  1. Following you back from Fluster Buster. I have a link party that starts at 6pm on Tuesday, please come by and link up @
    http://www.flusterbuster.com/search/label/Fluster%20Muster%20Party

    Hugs and Smiles,
    Robin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by and I'll check out your party on Tuesday.
      Thanks again,
      Bev

      Delete
  2. Hi Bev, You did a beautiful job! I love all of them and the flowers almost look 3D! Please come and share at Transformed Tuesday. We'd love to have you. http://pjhdesignsoneofakind.blogspot.com/2013/01/transformed-tuesday-23-features.html Hugs, Peggy~PJH Designs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Peggy,
      Thanks for the lovely comments on my baskets. I linked up at your party. thanks for inviting me.
      Have a great week,
      Bev

      Delete
  3. Hi Bev, just saw your comment above mine at Nita's and clicked on to see your blog and immediately saw your sweet dachshunds when I scrolled down. We have such a soft spot for dachshunds. Our 15 year old passed away in December from a stroke after 4 days of IV treatments for kidney failure and we miss her so much. Wish I could put a kiss on top of the heads of those 2 sweeties.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dewena,
      I'm glad you stopped by. Always glad to meet a doxie lover. I felt so bad reading about yours passing away. It is so tough to let them go. I will give them a kiss for you.
      Bev

      Delete
  4. Nice. We found you via Funky Polka Dot Giraffe - TOO Cute Tuesday: Link Par-Tay

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you stopped by. Looks like you have some great recipes on your site, yum!
    Have a great week.
    Bev

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, these look awesome! You did a great job. Your newest follower from Transforming Tuesday. :)

    Kathy @ lifeonlakeshoredrive.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kathy,
      Thank you for the lovely comments. Checked out your blog and it is great. I am your newest follower.
      Have a great weekend.
      Bev

      Delete
  7. Thank you so much for following my blog and sharing your fabulous makeovers at A Bouquet of Talent this week. I am so thrilled to have you share, and can't wait to visit more. :)

    Hugs
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for following me too. Love your blog and look forward to sharing with you.
      Have great weekend,
      Bev

      Delete
  8. Way to go! Love these :) Found you on Thursday Favorite Things! I'm kicking off a brand new blog hop on Superbowl Sunday called the Creative HomeAcre Hop! I would love to have you join the fun at:
    http://www.theselfsufficienthomeacre.com/2013/02/the-creative-homeacre-hop.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa,
      Thanks so much for the lovely comments. I will check you out and link up.
      Have a great weekend,
      Bev

      Delete
  9. love this so much! Thank you for sharing at the Thursday Favorite Things hop xo P.S. I posted the new giveaway yesterday :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for the lovely comment. Hope you are having a great weekend.
      Bev

      Delete
  10. The decoupage really makes it. You're a STAR tonight over at I Gotta Create!

    http://igottacreate.blogspot.com/2013/02/be-mine.html

    Thanks so much for linking up,
    <3 Christina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Christina,
      Wow! I am so excited that you chose me. Thanks you so much. I love your blog.
      Bev

      Delete
  11. Bev I love this! Way to re-purpose and make something beautiful from someone elses throw away! What a score!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love to find ways to use other peoples "junk" . Thanks for the kind words.
      Bev

      Delete

I would love to hear from you. Your comments are special to me.



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...